Being a person with little to no sense, I tried again and got a similar response. One should never be phased by the nuttiness in this sort of dialogue, but I was. I can't accept that there is no longer an expectation one should back up outrageous claims with evidence.
Do you recall hearing (or seeing) these claims? Were you sucked in?
- Health care reform includes "death panels" that will decide whether grandma is worth saving.
- President Obama and the First Lady saluted the flag with the wrong hand over their -- what, lungs?
- The First Lady has more staff than any other First Lady.
- President Obama's trip to India cost $200 million dollars a day.
- 800,000 jobs will be lost under Obamacare.
- President Obama said business owners didn't build their businesses.
- Stimulus money was outsourced for electric cars from Finland, solar panels in Mexico and windmills from China.
- Obamacare is the largest tax increase ever.
- President Obama is coming for your gun.
- The President was born in Kenya (or Indonesia) and is a Muslim.
- The President has doubled the size of government, doubled the national debt, is the biggest spender since...
- The Affordable Care Act is a government takeover of health care.
- Taxes have gone up under President Obama.
- President Obama wants to tell schoolchildren to worship him.
The simplest way to check the facts is the fact-checking websites like FactCheck, Politifact or Snopes. I like FactCheck but choose any of these, bookmark it and use it to verify what you hear, from either side. Both sides get their comeuppance on any of these sites.
Like my vanity plate, please BE N4MD.
See also: About that Oil Self-Sufficiency